Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
November 20, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" we are talking about a decline of physical education and the importance of it in our schools.
The State Board of Education uses a physical fitness test called the FITNESSGRAM® as the standard for students in California public schools. It is divided into six different fitness areas that offer a degree of defense against diseases that come from inactivity.
According to the California Department of Education, only 29% of fifth graders meet the requirements of all six areas of physical fitness.
California's education code requires elementary schools to offer 200 minutes of physical activity every 10 days. However, a study found more than half of schools failed to provide the required minutes. The California Court of Appeals ruled that parents can force educators to provide the minimum amount of physical activity.
Dr. Amy Chow, M.D.
Olympic Gold Medalist
Pediatrician, Palo Alto Medical Foundation
Superintendent, Berkeley Unified School District
Coordinator, Safe Routes to Schools
Contra Costa Health Department
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday