Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
January 15, 2012
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This episode of Beyond the Headlines looks at a topic many do not believe exists in a country like the United States. This modern day slavery is called human trafficking, and it's happening right here in the Bay Area.
According to the San Francisco Human Rights Commission:
- Human trafficking is the second largest and fastest growing criminal industry in the world, right behind drug trafficking.
- There are as many as 27 million people living in slavery-like conditions.
- Women and girls make up 80% of the people trafficked worldwide.
- Each year 1 million children are exploited in the commercial sex trade.
The perception is that trafficking only affects women enslaved for commercial sexual exploitation. However, trafficking has a variety of forms including forced labor and debt bondage.
Lt. John Vanek (Ret.)
San Jose Police Department
Human Trafficking Expert
National Human Trafficking Hotline: (888) 373-7888
Alameda County District Attorney
Adult Case Manager
The SAGE Project (Standing Against Global Exploitation)
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday