Wilda L. White is the Executive Director of the Thelton E. Henderson Center for Social Justice at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. The Henderson Center prepares students for social justice and public interest careers. The Henderson Center also conducts original research on race, gender and poverty. The center of Ms. White's social justice work is African American girls and young women.
Before joining the Henderson Center in 2008, she was a partner in the San Francisco law firm of Walker, Hamilton & White, where she tried cases on behalf of plaintiffs. Over the course of her career which began as a Staff Attorney at The Legal Aid Society of New York City, she has advocated on behalf of prisoners with mental health diagnoses, defended against AIDS discrimination, and tried over 30 cases before administrative law judges, trial courts, and juries in the areas of personal injury, insurance bad faith, consumer protection, and civil rights.She was also an Assistant City Editor at The Miami Herald during the time that the newspaper won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. White was also an international management consultant with McKinsey & Company, where she specialized in strategic planning. From 2004 until she joined the Henderson Center, she was a Board Member of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association. She also served as a Director of the Oakland Unified School District Board of Education from 2000 to 2002. In 2007, she was recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer. She is licensed to practice law in the States of California, New York, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In addition she holds a J.D. from Boalt Hall School of Law (UC Berkeley School of Law) and a MBA from Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration.
For more information: www.law.berkeley.edu/HendersonCenter.htm
african american salutes 2012, community
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing 29 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos