Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
July 29, 2012
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This episode takes a closer look at domestic violence, and the impact it has on communities around the bay.
According to the CDC, 85% of domestic abuse victims are women, and one in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. Our guests will identify exactly what domestic violence is, inform us about the dangers of reproductive and sexual coercion and review some recent high profile domestic violence cases in court. We will discuss the impact of state and federal budget cuts on shelters for those abused. We will also discuss ways the community is helping domestic violence victims, and how to identify the signs of domestic violence.
La Casa De Las Madres
Senior Policy Analyst
Futures Without Violence
City of San Francisco
Chief Executive Officer
STAND For Families Free of Violence
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral, including food pantry information. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash