Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 2, 2012
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses the digital divide; the ever growing gap between those who have the access and skill set to use modern day technology, and those who don't. Our show takes a look at how people and programs are working to make technology accessible to those in the margins, and asks the question of what are companies doing to close the gap on the other side.
In the Bay Area broadband internet access is at an all time high, having grown leaps and bounds over the last 5 years, yet about one fourth of those in the Bay Area still don't have high speed access. We explore the stigma of being someone who is not technically savvy, and give you advice on the more accessible companies and products.
Today's guest range from those who help others to bridge the gap of the digital divide, to those who are working to gain access to newer forms of technology. We also hear from an expert in the field.
Department of Aging and Adult Services for the City and County of San Francisco
30th Street Senior Center
- Palo Alto man detained in NKorea lands at SFO 43 min ago
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States 36 min ago
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- 1 dead, 1 injured in gun battle near Lil Scrappy show 36 min ago
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Light snow falls in Santa Cruz Mountains
8 min ago