Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 23, 2012
Military Sexual Trauma
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses Military Sexual Trauma, or MST for short. MST is a major problem throughout the military and yet is rarely discussed publicly. According to the Department of Defense, in 2010, there were approximately 19,000 cases of MST and only 13.5 percent of those cases were reported. We talk about the resources survivors have to receive the help and treatment needed to recover.
Our show talks with a Bay Area Congresswoman who talks about what is being done to combat this ongoing issue. We also speak with two survivors of MST who share their stories of how they are overcoming the trauma they faced.
United States Army
Dr. Natara Garovoy
Women's Prevention, Outreach, and Education Center
Palo Alto VA
United States Air Force
California's 12th Congressional District
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos