Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 23, 2012
Military Sexual Trauma
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses Military Sexual Trauma, or MST for short. MST is a major problem throughout the military and yet is rarely discussed publicly. According to the Department of Defense, in 2010, there were approximately 19,000 cases of MST and only 13.5 percent of those cases were reported. We talk about the resources survivors have to receive the help and treatment needed to recover.
Our show talks with a Bay Area Congresswoman who talks about what is being done to combat this ongoing issue. We also speak with two survivors of MST who share their stories of how they are overcoming the trauma they faced.
United States Army
Dr. Natara Garovoy
Women's Prevention, Outreach, and Education Center
Palo Alto VA
United States Air Force
California's 12th Congressional District
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 17 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
15 min ago