Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
February 17, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
In this week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines," we take a look at various areas of vision impairment and the different treatments available.
As our baby boomers age, vision loss across the United States is set to double. According to a national opinion poll released by the American Foundation for the Blind, Americans fear vision loss more than they fear cancer, HIV/AIDS, heart disease, and other serious health problems.
We'll hear from local ophthalmologists about different causes and treatments for vision loss, a scientist developing new technology for the blind, and an organization helping to keep the blind employed.
Lillie Mosaddegh, M.D.
Robert Bhisitkul, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor, UCSF Department of Ophthalmology
Donor Relations Coordinator
Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Find them on Twitter @lighthouse_sf
Find them on Facebook: www.facebook.com/home.php#!/lighthousesf
For more information on Dr. Joshua Miele's Video Descriptive Research project, please visit: www.vdrdc.org
*The chronic eye treatment depicted in this week's episode of Beyond the Headlines, Lipiflow, is available at Dr. Mosaddegh's offices. For appointments and information, please visit her website www.sfeyedoctors.com or call: (415) 392-4437
For more information about macular degeneration, visit: www.aao.org
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries 12 min ago
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 27 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos