Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
February 17, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
In this week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines," we take a look at various areas of vision impairment and the different treatments available.
As our baby boomers age, vision loss across the United States is set to double. According to a national opinion poll released by the American Foundation for the Blind, Americans fear vision loss more than they fear cancer, HIV/AIDS, heart disease, and other serious health problems.
We'll hear from local ophthalmologists about different causes and treatments for vision loss, a scientist developing new technology for the blind, and an organization helping to keep the blind employed.
Lillie Mosaddegh, M.D.
Robert Bhisitkul, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor, UCSF Department of Ophthalmology
Donor Relations Coordinator
Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Find them on Twitter @lighthouse_sf
Find them on Facebook: www.facebook.com/home.php#!/lighthousesf
For more information on Dr. Joshua Miele's Video Descriptive Research project, please visit: www.vdrdc.org
*The chronic eye treatment depicted in this week's episode of Beyond the Headlines, Lipiflow, is available at Dr. Mosaddegh's offices. For appointments and information, please visit her website www.sfeyedoctors.com or call: (415) 392-4437
For more information about macular degeneration, visit: www.aao.org
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 35 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 42 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos