Commonwealth Club: Dennis Kucinich
SPEAKER: Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich, 2008 Democratic presidential candidate
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
As part of The Club's "Get to Know the Candidate" series, two-time democratic U.S. presidential candidate and Congressman from Ohio, Dennis Kucinich, weighs in on such hot-button issues as the War in Iraq, heath care and immigration reform. Since 2002 Kucinich has stood firmly against the War on Iraq and is now pressing for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops. He has also advocated for the creation of a cabinet-level Department of Peace, and firmly believes that peace, not war, is inevitable. In 2003 Kucinich was honored with the Gandhi Peace Award.
During his political career, Kucinich has continued to advocate for a national health care system, preservation of Social Security, increased unemployment benefits and a greener world. A self-proclaimed "Wellstone Democrat," Kucinich is a true progressive and does not always vote along party lines. As a vegan, Kucinich practices sustainability everyday and urges others to do the same in their own ways. The Public Citizen, the Sierra Club, Friends of the Earth and the League of Conservation Voters have all honored Kucinich for his dedication to a cleaner future, and unspoiled earth.
Prior to his work in Congress,, Kucinich served as mayor of Cleveland for two years from 1977-79, at age 31, making him the youngest person ever elected to lead a major American city. 10 years earlier, Kucinich made his political debut in 1967 as a member of the Cleveland City Council. In 1973 Kucinich graduated with both a BA and an MA, from Case Western Reserve University
This program was recorded live on August 10, 2007.
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 3 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 41 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
41 min ago