Commonwealth Club: Gov. Bill Richardson
SPEAKER: New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, 2008 Democratic presidential candidate
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
In conversation with San Jose based attorney Fernando R. Zazueta.
In the second of a series of scheduled conversations with U.S. Presidential candidates, Governor of New Mexico Bill Richardson weighs in on the gamut of critical domestic and international issues including the Iraq War, the environment, the economy and immigration.
Richardson was recently re-elected to a second term as Governor of New Mexico with the support of 69 percent of voters, representing the largest margin of victory for any Governor in state history. His policies as governor have been characterized as "moderate" and incorporate the perspectives of a wide-range of political constituents. He has worked to improve education, cut taxes, build a high-wage economy, develop a statewide water plan and make New Mexico safer by getting tough on DWI, domestic violence and sex crimes. He has also been successful in his efforts to make New Mexico the "Clean Energy State" by requiring utility companies to produce energy through renewable resources and reduce carbon emissions.
As Secretary of Energy to President Bill Clinton from 1998 to 2001, Richardson implemented a wide range of efficiency standards to save energy. From 1997 to 1998, he worked as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations. For 15 years before that, Richardson served in the U.S. Congress where he fought for Native Americans, Hispanics and environmental reform. The son of a Boston native father and Mexican born mother, Richardson was raised in Mexico. He was sent to prep school in Boston, then went on to earn a BA from Tufts in 1970 and MA from Tufts' Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in 1971.
Zarzueta, a prominent Silicon Valley attorney, is also founder and Board chairman of the Mexican Heritage Corporation of San Jose.
This program was recorded live on June 12, 2007.
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore 5 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 56 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 24 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 32 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
24 min ago
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos