Commonwealth Club: Alberto Gonzales
SPEAKER: Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General with the U.S. Department of Justice.
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Securing Our Borders: Immigration Reform in a Post 9/11 World
Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales discusses the president's plan for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. A grandson of immigrants and the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the country, Attorney General Gonzales has a unique understanding of the complexities surrounding this debate. He believes that illegal immigration compromises the core American value of fairness, while comprehensive immigration reform will restore faith in the rule of law and honor our tradition as a nation of immigrants.
The Attorney General discusses the five objectives of immigration reform: securing our borders, creating a temporary worker program, making it easier for employers to verify employment eligibility, dealing with the millions of illegal immigrants who are already here, and honoring the great American tradition of the melting pot.
Prior to his appointment as Attorney General, Gonzales served as Counsel to President George W. Bush. He was appointed as a Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas in 1999. Gonzales is a graduate of Rice University and Harvard Law School and served in the United States Air Force from 1973-1975.
This program was recorded live on July 21, 2006.
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Fashion designer L'Wren Scott found dead in NY 51 min ago
- Man fatally struck by train in Berkeley this morning 31 min ago
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- LA police say no leads in AMBER Alert abduction
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos