Commonwealth Club: Alberto Gonzales
SPEAKER: Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General with the U.S. Department of Justice.
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Securing Our Borders: Immigration Reform in a Post 9/11 World
Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales discusses the president's plan for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. A grandson of immigrants and the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the country, Attorney General Gonzales has a unique understanding of the complexities surrounding this debate. He believes that illegal immigration compromises the core American value of fairness, while comprehensive immigration reform will restore faith in the rule of law and honor our tradition as a nation of immigrants.
The Attorney General discusses the five objectives of immigration reform: securing our borders, creating a temporary worker program, making it easier for employers to verify employment eligibility, dealing with the millions of illegal immigrants who are already here, and honoring the great American tradition of the melting pot.
Prior to his appointment as Attorney General, Gonzales served as Counsel to President George W. Bush. He was appointed as a Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas in 1999. Gonzales is a graduate of Rice University and Harvard Law School and served in the United States Air Force from 1973-1975.
This program was recorded live on July 21, 2006.
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records 33 min ago
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Former SF supe sued; New Sebastopol mayor 9 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos