Commonwealth Club: Blockbusters and bombs
SPEAKER: Peter Bart, Editor in Chief of Variety, author of "Boffo!" and Co-host, "Sunday Morning Shootout," American Movie Channel.
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Loving the Blockbuster and Fearting the Bomb
Why did a documentary about penguins find box-office success, while 2005's star-studded Bewitched flopped? Editor of Hollywood trade paper Variety, Bart has harnessed his industry-insider power to uncover the elusive formula for Hollywood box-office success. He shares what he learned from residents of Tinseltown - from actors and directors to studio executives.
This program was recorded live on July 25, 2006.
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle 11 min ago
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 57 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial 21 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos