Commonwealth Club: Blockbusters and bombs
SPEAKER: Peter Bart, Editor in Chief of Variety, author of "Boffo!" and Co-host, "Sunday Morning Shootout," American Movie Channel.
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Loving the Blockbuster and Fearting the Bomb
Why did a documentary about penguins find box-office success, while 2005's star-studded Bewitched flopped? Editor of Hollywood trade paper Variety, Bart has harnessed his industry-insider power to uncover the elusive formula for Hollywood box-office success. He shares what he learned from residents of Tinseltown - from actors and directors to studio executives.
This program was recorded live on July 25, 2006.
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem 30 min ago
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- LA police say no leads in AMBER Alert abduction
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos