Commonwealth Club: News war
SPEAKERS: Veteran journalists Lowell Bergman and Steve Talbot of PBS' Frontline.
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Two veteran journalists - Lowell Bergman and Steve Talbot of PBS' Frontline - examine the forces challenging the news media today and the press reaction.
Bergman and Talbot trace the recent history of American journalism, from the Nixon administration's attacks on the media to the post-Watergate popularity of the press to the new challenges presented by the "war on terror." Mounting pressure from corporate owners for record profits, as well as growing challenges from cable television and the Internet, are remaking the economics of the
This program was recorded live on January 11, 2007.
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos