Commonwealth Club: News war
SPEAKERS: Veteran journalists Lowell Bergman and Steve Talbot of PBS' Frontline.
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Two veteran journalists - Lowell Bergman and Steve Talbot of PBS' Frontline - examine the forces challenging the news media today and the press reaction.
Bergman and Talbot trace the recent history of American journalism, from the Nixon administration's attacks on the media to the post-Watergate popularity of the press to the new challenges presented by the "war on terror." Mounting pressure from corporate owners for record profits, as well as growing challenges from cable television and the Internet, are remaking the economics of the
This program was recorded live on January 11, 2007.
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF 16 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school 54 min ago
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info 20 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday