Commonwealth Club: Wikipedia founder
SPEAKER: Wikipedia founder Jimbo Wales
VIDEO: Watch this Commonwealth Club event in its entirety in the media player above.
Wikipedia founder Jimbo Wales in conversation with Chris Shipley.
Best known for his major role in the founding of Wikipedia, Wales has changed the way we access information. Wales opened collaborative authorship software, called wiki, to the world's Internet users to create a web site with boundless encyclopedic information called Wikipedia. Recently, Wales rushed headlong into a battle against Google to fight for our attention with his launch of Search Wikia, emphasizing transparency and promising less spam. Wales talk about what's next on his agenda, his opinions on the politics of the Internet and his thoughts on the accuracy of Wikipedia posts.
This program was recorded live on July 18, 2007.
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge 3 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday