Bay Area Traffic
Fallen steel brace causes Bay Bridge shutdown
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Bridge will be closed indefinitely after several pieces of the bridge fell onto the upper deck during the Tuesday evening commute.
Just after 5:30 p.m., three pieces that were attached to the bridge structure during emergency repairs made over the Labor Day closure broke loose and fell onto the roadway, striking several cars.
There were no injuries, but Caltrans is investigating what caused the pieces, that were attached to support the cracked eyebar, to break loose. Although there were high winds on Tuesday, it is unclear if that contributed to the incident.
Contractor CC Meyers, who helped with the Labor Day closure repairs, has been contacted to aid in the emergency construction.
Drivers were stuck in traffic for two to three hours Tuesday evening. Drivers who were stuck in the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza were given the option of turning around or were escorted across the bridge by the California Highway Patrol. Cars were still being escorted along one lane of the upper deck at 9:15 p.m.
Bay Area transit organizations are planning for a heavy commute Wednesday morning. BART will be running longer trains and have called in extra train operators to run extra trains. The Larkspur ferry will by using a high capacity ferry and the Golden Gate Bridge will have all toll lanes open by 4 a.m.
bay area traffic
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos