Bay Area Traffic
Caldecott Tunnel construction to start next week
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Next week Caltrans will finally begin construction on the long awaited fourth bore of the Caldecott Tunnel.
Friday marks the end of a mandatory 55 day waiting period after Caltrans awarded the construction project to a Sylmar- based construction firm.
The Caldecott Tunnel connects Oakland to Contra Costa County via Highway 24.
Adding a new, two-lane fourth tunnel will eliminate the need for one of the existing tunnels to alternate between westbound and eastbound traffic for the morning and evening rush hour.
The project is expected to cost $420 million and be completed in 2013.
caltrans, highway 24, oakland, construction, bay area traffic
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing 13 min ago
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
47 min ago
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno...
13 min ago