Bay Area Traffic
Doyle Drive ramp to close through 2011
SAN FRANCISCO -- The second long-term ramp closure of the $1 billion Doyle Drive reconstruction project south of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco begins Wednesday night at 8 p.m.
The closure of the ramp from northbound Park Presidio, also known as state Highway 1, to southbound Doyle Drive in the direction of the Marina District will not directly affect traffic to and from the bridge, according to Doyle Drive project spokeswoman Molly Graham.
While travelers will still be able to take Park Presidio to the Golden Gate Bridge, they will have to find another direction to get to the Marina District from Park Presidio, Graham said. The official detour is to take Geary Boulevard to Van Ness Avenue.
The ramp will be closed through 2011.
On Jan. 10, the off-ramp from northbound Doyle Drive to southbound Park Presidio was closed for construction. That ramp will remain closed through 2013.
The $1.045 billion project, which is estimated for completion in late 2013, will replace the 73-year-old, 1.5-mile stretch of Doyle Drive, which engineers have deemed structurally unsound in the event of a major earthquake. The new roadway will be called the Presidio Parkway.
Doyle Drive carries more than 100,000 vehicles to and from the Golden Gate Bridge each weekday.
For more information on the project and traffic impacts, visit www.presidioparkway.org.
bay area traffic
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 10 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button 39 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos