Bay Area Traffic
One person killed in crash on eastbound I-80
One person was killed in a crash that temporarily blocked Interstate Highway 80 in both directions in Richmond this afternoon, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
The crash was reported shortly after 3:50 p.m. on eastbound Highway 80 east of Carlson Road, CHP Officer Kevin Kroncke said.
A black vehicle apparently spun out and hit a pole on the right hand shoulder on the highway, Kroncke said.
Authorities briefly closed Highway 80 in both directions while a medical helicopter landed on the highway. However, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash so a medical evacuation was not attempted, according to Kroncke.
The helicopter has since left the highway, he said. All westbound lanes have reopened, while all but the far right eastbound lane were also reopened as of 4:35 p.m.
The vehicle was "pretty badly mangled" in the crash, CHP Officer Sam Morgan said.
Morgan said authorities are investigating why the vehicle spun out, and believe it may have been cut off by another vehicle, Morgan said.
The far right eastbound lane is expected to be closed into the evening because officials from the coroner's office have to drive out from Martinez to the crash scene during peak commute hours, he said.
Morgan recommended that drivers find other modes of transportation or other routes than eastbound Highway 80 during the evening commute.
el cerrito, I-80, richmond, car crash, bay area traffic
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- One killed in boating accident in Redwood City 42 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 52 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets 40 min ago
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 3 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 7 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos