Bay Area Traffic
4 dead in Highway 12 crash in Napa County
NAPA COUNTY, CA -- Four people were killed in a crash on state Highway 12 in unincorporated Napa County this morning, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
The crash was reported at about 8:20 a.m. on Highway 12 east of Kirkland Ranch Road, near American Canyon, CHP Officer Jaret Paulson said.
Paulson said the people who died were two men and two women in a Subaru Forester. Their names have not been released but Paulson said their ages range from about 20 to 80.
He said a big-rig was traveling west on Highway 12 behind the Subaru and a commercial truck just before the accident happened, Paulson said.
Traffic began to slow or stop, and the big-rig did not stop in time and crashed into the back of the Subaru, pushing it into oncoming traffic and into the path of an eastbound big-rig, he said.
The eastbound big-rig struck the Subaru, pushing it about 200 feet up the road before it came to a stop.
Four occupants of the Subaru were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the big-rig involved in the initial collision was transported to a hospital with minor to moderate injuries, Paulson said.
That big-rig also clipped the commercial truck before coming to rest, but the driver and passenger in the truck were uninjured, he said.
The driver of the eastbound big-rig was also unhurt.
Highway 12 was still shut down between Kelly Road and Interstate Highway 80 at midday but the CHP expected to reopen the roadway shortly after 1 p.m.
napa county, highway 12, bay area traffic
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage 53 min ago
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday