Bay Area Traffic
Data shows mixed results of congestion pricing
The first data is in on the new congestion pricing on the Bay Bridge. The experimental toll structure aimed at encouraging carpooling and reducing congestion appears to be showing mixed results.
The success of higher bridge fares depends on who you talk to. On one hand, this is exactly what transportation officials hoped for to ease traffic delays. And while a faster commute may delight drivers, the price they're paying for it is taking its toll at the toll booths.
The Bay Area Toll Authority has just released its first data about the drivers' habits since tolls rose a $1 on all seven state-owned bridges July 1. The Bay Bridge increase was even higher with congestion-based pricing, hiking the fare to $6 during morning and evening commute times.
Also, there are no more free rides for carpoolers. It costs $2.50 and that may be contributing to changes in driver behavior. Transportation officials say a side effect is an increase in mass transit ridership -- BART is reporting around 4,500 more riders on its trains each weekday.
Carpool crossings on the region's seven bridges have declined over 12,000 a day. That's about a 30 percent decrease from this time last year. On the Bay Bridge in particular, overall commutes have fallen just over 6,000 vehicles a day.
The positive result of all this is that Bay Bridge traffic delays have almost been cut in half. The time it takes to reach the toll plaza from nearby freeway ramps has dropped from 19 minutes to 10.
One note about BART's recent increase in ridership it says that may not all necessarily be due to higher tolls, but also because of reduced service on AC Transit, due to labor contract problems with drivers, who've been calling out sick.
bay bridge, richmond san rafael bridge, san mateo bridge, dumbarton bridge, antioch bridge, carquinez bridge, bay area traffic, teresa garcia
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday