Bay Area Traffic
BART warns of more possible heat related failures
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Talk about timing -- BART has been debating what to do with some $5 million of budget surplus, ideas like a temporary fare reduction or cleaning the train cars. But after Tuesday's extreme heat, more passengers may say 'upgrade the AC system', so the trains can run properly.
Overheating caused trackside computer equipment that monitors the movement of BART trains to temporarily fail Tuesday afternoon around 4:00. This failure switched the system into a manual safety mode, which means trains that normally travel at speeds up to 70 mph slow to 25 mph. The Bay Area systemwide slowdown caused at least 20-minute delays, right during commute time.
Passengers also suffered through AC failures on about a quarter of the fleet's aging train cars -- problems that BART's extra surplus money could help fix.
BART has some 50 train control rooms, and says about a half dozen of them overheated. One of those rooms where the computer monitoring equipment failed is located in Dublin. Crews helped it cool down by propping open the doors.
No heat-related problems are expected Tuesday morning, but BART says later today the hot weather could cause more systemwide delays and steamy train cars due to AC systems overheating and crashing. So it might be another day where commuters want to carry their own personal-sized fans and some patience too.
heat wave, BART, bay area traffic, teresa garcia
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
2 min ago
- Woman attacked by 200-pound bear
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos