Bay Area Traffic
Fatal accident forced closure of 3 lanes on I-880
One person is dead and another person is suffering from major injuries as a result of a two-car collision on northbound Interstate Highway 880 in Oakland, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
The crash happened at about 4 p.m. north of the Jackson Street exit, Officer Sam Morgan said. It occurred near the area where northbound I-880 merges with westbound Interstate Highway 980, near the Oakland Police Department and the Glenn Dyer Jail.
The left three lanes of northbound I-880 were closed as of about 5:15 p.m., the CHP said. A Sig-alert was issued at 4:27 p.m.
The accident involved a two-door Nissan Coupe and a sport utility vehicle, according to Morgan.
The person suffering from major injuries was rushed to Highland Hospital in Oakland, he said.
oakland, I-880, car crash, bay area traffic
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos