Bay Area Traffic
Fatal accident forced closure of 3 lanes on I-880
One person is dead and another person is suffering from major injuries as a result of a two-car collision on northbound Interstate Highway 880 in Oakland, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
The crash happened at about 4 p.m. north of the Jackson Street exit, Officer Sam Morgan said. It occurred near the area where northbound I-880 merges with westbound Interstate Highway 980, near the Oakland Police Department and the Glenn Dyer Jail.
The left three lanes of northbound I-880 were closed as of about 5:15 p.m., the CHP said. A Sig-alert was issued at 4:27 p.m.
The accident involved a two-door Nissan Coupe and a sport utility vehicle, according to Morgan.
The person suffering from major injuries was rushed to Highland Hospital in Oakland, he said.
oakland, I-880, car crash, bay area traffic
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 4 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 11 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 36 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos