Bay Area Traffic
BART phasing out EZ Rider cards at some stations
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Thousands of BART riders may arrive at their local station only to find out they'll need a different way to pay for their commute. That's because the EZ Rider cards they normally use to pay may not work starting Wednesday morning.
BART is phasing out the EZ Rider card starting at some BART stations. By December 22, the EZ Rider card will be completely blocked at all BART stations. That means an unpleasant surprise for possibly thousands of BART riders. Anywhere from 5,000 to 8,000 riders a week still had not made the transition to the Clipper card despite letters and e-mails from BART.
At the height, about 50,000 people used the EZ Rider card, as a temporary way to pay for BART fares until the long-delayed Clipper card was ready for use. The smart cards are very similar, with a computer chip allowing riders to load value onto their cards either by paying cash or linking it to a credit card of bank account. If you have an EZ Rider card, go to the EZ Rider website to deactivate the card and switch to the Clipper card. You could also go to Walgreen's or clippercard.com, or visit a transit agency ticket booth, including at the underground downtown San Francisco BART stations.
You'll be able to use the Clipper card on BART, Muni, Golden Gate Transit, AC Transit and Caltrain and eventually on all transit systems in the Bay Area. You can also use it to pay for BART parking.
BART, bay area traffic, janelle wang
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 38 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
36 min ago