Bay Area Traffic
Golden Gate Bridge to move to all-electronic tolls
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District's board of directors approved a proposal this morning to collect tolls electronically only on the bridge starting in September 2012.
The vote was 13-2, district spokeswoman Mary Currie said.
The district's Finance Committee approved the plan Thursday by an 8-3 vote.
The district said two-thirds of bridge users now pay the toll using FasTrak and only 33 percent pay cash.
Collecting tolls electronically will save $19.2 million over 10 years starting in 2012, according to the district.
Eliminating 28 full-time and four part-time toll collectors and two vault employees will save $16.3 million in wages and benefits. The base salary of a toll collector ranges between $48,672 and $54,080 a year, according to the district.
Currie said some of the toll collectors may find other jobs as other employees retire.
The district faces an $89 million deficit over the next five years. Converting to electronic toll collection was among 33 initiatives approved by the board in October when the projected five-year deficit was $132 million.
Bridge users who do not use FasTrak will still have their license plate read. They will be sent a bill for the toll or they can pay it at kiosks in Bay Area stores. They may also pay with a credit or debit card over the phone or on the Web.
golden gate bridge, transportation, fastrak, bay area traffic
- Four in the South Bay die due to cold weather 1 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Apple wants Samsung to pay $22M for legal bills
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Judge refuses to block AA, US Airways merger
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos