Bay Area Traffic
Golden Gate Bridge to move to all-electronic tolls
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District's board of directors approved a proposal this morning to collect tolls electronically only on the bridge starting in September 2012.
The vote was 13-2, district spokeswoman Mary Currie said.
The district's Finance Committee approved the plan Thursday by an 8-3 vote.
The district said two-thirds of bridge users now pay the toll using FasTrak and only 33 percent pay cash.
Collecting tolls electronically will save $19.2 million over 10 years starting in 2012, according to the district.
Eliminating 28 full-time and four part-time toll collectors and two vault employees will save $16.3 million in wages and benefits. The base salary of a toll collector ranges between $48,672 and $54,080 a year, according to the district.
Currie said some of the toll collectors may find other jobs as other employees retire.
The district faces an $89 million deficit over the next five years. Converting to electronic toll collection was among 33 initiatives approved by the board in October when the projected five-year deficit was $132 million.
Bridge users who do not use FasTrak will still have their license plate read. They will be sent a bill for the toll or they can pay it at kiosks in Bay Area stores. They may also pay with a credit or debit card over the phone or on the Web.
golden gate bridge, transportation, fastrak, bay area traffic
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36 42 min ago
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 8 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 21 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 55 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage 42 min ago
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
42 min ago