Bay Area Traffic
Downed wires snarls traffic on Hwy. 101
MILLBRAE, Calif. (KGO) -- Downed telephone wires caused a traffic headache on northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 101 near Millbrae Thursday afternoon.
The CHP received a report of fallen wires just before 3 p.m. near the Millbrae exit. Firefighters, PG&E crews and the CHP responded to the scene.
Lanes on both sides of the freeway were closed off and on throughout the afternoon as crews worked to clear the phone line from the roadway.
CHP officials believe that the downed lines may have been the result of a hit in run accident in which a gray flat bed truck struck a utility pole. They are looking for the truck and its driver. The truck's license plate number is 4R23454.
Motorists have been advised to use Interstate Highway 280 as an alternate route, Bartlett said.
Bay City News contributed to this report
highway 101, millbrae, bay area traffic
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos