Bay Area Traffic
Downed wires snarls traffic on Hwy. 101
MILLBRAE, Calif. (KGO) -- Downed telephone wires caused a traffic headache on northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 101 near Millbrae Thursday afternoon.
The CHP received a report of fallen wires just before 3 p.m. near the Millbrae exit. Firefighters, PG&E crews and the CHP responded to the scene.
Lanes on both sides of the freeway were closed off and on throughout the afternoon as crews worked to clear the phone line from the roadway.
CHP officials believe that the downed lines may have been the result of a hit in run accident in which a gray flat bed truck struck a utility pole. They are looking for the truck and its driver. The truck's license plate number is 4R23454.
Motorists have been advised to use Interstate Highway 280 as an alternate route, Bartlett said.
Bay City News contributed to this report
highway 101, millbrae, bay area traffic
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Memorial taking place in SF to honor Mandela
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay 44 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos