Bay Area Traffic
World's largest cable saddle placed on Bay Bridge
TREASURE ISLAND (KGO) -- Engineers made history high atop the eastern span of the Bay Bridge on Thursday.
Crews installed the world's largest cable saddle on top of the tower of the world's longest self-anchored suspension span. The 450-ton saddle will support the nearly one mile of cable that will hold up the eastern span's lanes.
Work began at 5 a.m.
"The challenges are always the wind because if the wind starts pushing on it, it's difficult to handle always keeping up with the machinery, but we've got people in place for that so we think we're going to have success," said Caltrans spokesperson Bart Ney.
The work is so intricate and dangerous that crews held a rehearsal on dry land last month.
The new eastern span of the bridge is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay bridge, caltrans, construction, bay area traffic
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland 1 min ago
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 44 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos