Bay Area Traffic
World's largest cable saddle placed on Bay Bridge
TREASURE ISLAND (KGO) -- Engineers made history high atop the eastern span of the Bay Bridge on Thursday.
Crews installed the world's largest cable saddle on top of the tower of the world's longest self-anchored suspension span. The 450-ton saddle will support the nearly one mile of cable that will hold up the eastern span's lanes.
Work began at 5 a.m.
"The challenges are always the wind because if the wind starts pushing on it, it's difficult to handle always keeping up with the machinery, but we've got people in place for that so we think we're going to have success," said Caltrans spokesperson Bart Ney.
The work is so intricate and dangerous that crews held a rehearsal on dry land last month.
The new eastern span of the bridge is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay bridge, caltrans, construction, bay area traffic
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 9 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 48 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
48 min ago