Bay Area Traffic
World's largest cable saddle placed on Bay Bridge
TREASURE ISLAND (KGO) -- Engineers made history high atop the eastern span of the Bay Bridge on Thursday.
Crews installed the world's largest cable saddle on top of the tower of the world's longest self-anchored suspension span. The 450-ton saddle will support the nearly one mile of cable that will hold up the eastern span's lanes.
Work began at 5 a.m.
"The challenges are always the wind because if the wind starts pushing on it, it's difficult to handle always keeping up with the machinery, but we've got people in place for that so we think we're going to have success," said Caltrans spokesperson Bart Ney.
The work is so intricate and dangerous that crews held a rehearsal on dry land last month.
The new eastern span of the bridge is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay bridge, caltrans, construction, bay area traffic
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival 2 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF 41 min ago
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 38 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun 7 min ago
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher 3 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos