Bay Area Traffic
World's largest cable saddle placed on Bay Bridge
TREASURE ISLAND (KGO) -- Engineers made history high atop the eastern span of the Bay Bridge on Thursday.
Crews installed the world's largest cable saddle on top of the tower of the world's longest self-anchored suspension span. The 450-ton saddle will support the nearly one mile of cable that will hold up the eastern span's lanes.
Work began at 5 a.m.
"The challenges are always the wind because if the wind starts pushing on it, it's difficult to handle always keeping up with the machinery, but we've got people in place for that so we think we're going to have success," said Caltrans spokesperson Bart Ney.
The work is so intricate and dangerous that crews held a rehearsal on dry land last month.
The new eastern span of the bridge is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay bridge, caltrans, construction, bay area traffic
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 12 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges 42 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 34 min ago
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
14 min ago
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
30 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
12 min ago