Bay Area Traffic
NB I-880 reopened in Oakland after crash
OAKLAND -- All lanes are open this morning on northbound Interstate Highway 880 in Oakland after being closed to traffic for about six hours following a hit-and-run crash involving a big-rig, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The crash was reported shortly after midnight and lanes were closed to traffic as crews cleaned up about 200 gallons of diesel fuel that spilled onto the roadway when the truck's diesel tanks ruptured, according to the CHP.
All northbound lanes were reopened to traffic at around 6:15 a.m. and traffic was reportedly back to normal as of 7 a.m., a CHP officer said.
The CHP are searching for the driver of a white Acura RSX who crashed into two cars and a big-rig truck on northbound Interstate Highway 880, north of Market Street, and ran away from the scene of the crash, CHP officials said.
The Acura reportedly drifted onto the right-hand shoulder of the highway and hit an Audi that was stopped on the side of the road.
The crash caused the Acura to spin out of control and crash into a Toyota and a big-rig, CHP officials said.
The collision caused the big-rig to crash into the right shoulder wall, veer left across the lanes of traffic, and crash into the center divide.
The drivers of the big-rig and the Toyota were not injured in the crash.
The driver of the Audi, a 20-year-old man from Novato, and his three passengers, were taken to Highland Hospital for moderate to minor injuries, according to the CHP.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to call (510) 450-3821
oakland, I-880, bay area traffic
- Underground fire forcing evacuations in Oakland 9 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- 'Radioactive' package found at Lafayette intersection 15 min ago
- Black ice on I-280 near crash in San Mateo County
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Oakland robberies; Pitcher makes donation
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday