Bay Area Traffic
Caltrans makes repairs to sinkhole
SAN JOSE (KGO) -- A giant 30-foot-long sinkhole that opened up on a South Bay freeway might be just the beginning of a larger problem.
The hole opened up on southbound Highway 87 near West Virginia Street in San Jose early Thursday morning. Crews say recent rain may be to blame.
Caltrans began re-opening two southbound lanes around 4 p.m. that had been closed all day for the repair. Maintenance crews discovered a sinkhole early Thursday morning that the CHP described as a 30-foot by 30-foot hole.
An extremely wet rainy season and a high water table in San Jose created the problem, according to Caltrans.
The hole was dug up, then filled with a mixture of quick-drying concrete and asphalt.
"We anticipate there's going to be a second phase as necessary to fix this permanently so it doesn't happen again, and that will involve replacing concrete slabs as well as upgrading the drainage system underneath the roadway," said Bernard Walik with Caltrans.
Walik said if a second phase is necessary, there will likely be road and ramp closures in the affected area, but Caltrans anticipates traffic will continue to flow on both sides of the freeway.
Traffic was light while Caltrans worked to repair the sinkhole on Thursday.
highway 87, san jose, bay area traffic, heather ishimaru
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore 44 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual 36 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims 22 min ago
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop" 1 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos