Bay Area Traffic
Bay Bridge catwalks to be illuminated
TREASURE ISLAND, Calif. -- The bright orange catwalks leading to the tower on the Bay Bridge's new eastern span will be illuminated starting tonight, giving residents a sneak preview of what the bridge will look like when it is completed in 2013.
Construction lights have been strung along the 1,060-foot-long catwalks and will be switched on at 7:45 p.m., Caltrans spokesman Bart Ney said at a news conference in Oakland this afternoon.
The lights are being put in place to allow construction crews to work at night to prepare for the placement of the span's main cable in early 2012.
The night work is recommended for the installation and measurement of the cables since heat from the sun can alter their length, Ney said.
The lights will allow Bay Area residents to "start to see what this bridge is actually going to look like" when it is completed, he said.
The lights are the same ones used by crews on the construction of the new Carquinez Bridge, Ney said.
The switching on of the lights comes a day after the final four deck sections of the eastern span arrived on a ship from China.
The sections will be put in place over the next couple of months, Ney said.
For a timeline of upcoming milestones in the Bridge's construction, visit www.baybridgeinfo.org.
They say the work is being done ahead of schedule out of concern for seismic safety, and not because of the yacht race.
bay bridge, oakland, caltrans, san francisco bay, treasure island, bay area traffic
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz 30 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 42 min ago
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke 18 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday