Bay Area Traffic
Van may have hit motorcyclist on purpose; freeway closed
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A fatal accident that shut down eastbound Interstate 580 in San Leandro this afternoon is now being investigated as a homicide, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The collision involving a motorcyclist and a paratransit van was first reported shortly before 4 p.m., and has closed all lanes on eastbound I-580 just west of 150th Avenue.
CHP Sgt. Trent Cross said it now appears that an altercation occurred between the motorcyle rider, who Cross described as a Hells Angels member, and the paratransit van driver.
The van driver is suspected of intentionally hitting the motorcyclist, who was dragged several miles under the van. The motorcyclist died of his injuries.
The case is being investigated jointly by the CHP and San Leandro police.
I-580, castro valley, crash, road rage, bay area traffic
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing 20 min ago
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
54 min ago
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno...
20 min ago