Bay Area Traffic
Freeway opens following bus-motorcycle crash
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- Eastbound Interstate Highway 580 in San Leandro was reopened shortly before 2:30 a.m. today after an East Bay Paratransit driver was arrested on suspicion of felony hit-and-run and murder after a fatal collision with a motorcyclist Saturday afternoon, officials said.
The highway was closed since shortly after 4 p.m. Saturday as police collected evidence in the area well into Sunday morning, Sgt. Doug Calcagno said.
The Paratransit driver was identified by San Leandro police as Eddie Hall, 31, of Oakland.
CHP Sgt. Trent Cross said it appears the crash followed an altercation between the driver and the motorcyclist, who he said was a Hells Angels member.
The motorcyclist had been traveling in a group with seven or eight other motorcyclists, Calcagno said.
The Paratransit van struck the motorcyclist, and the motorcycle was dragged under the van for several miles before the van pulled over just east of the 150th Avenue onramp, Calcagno said.
After Hall pulled over to the shoulder, he attempted to flee the scene and was arrested by Alameda County Sheriff's deputies, San Leandro police said.
Calcagno said that there were no passengers in the Paratransit van at the time.
The motorcyclist was treated by Alameda County Fire Department personnel and then transported to a nearby hospital. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the hospital.
San Leandro police and CHP are investigating whether Hall intentionally struck the motorcyclist.
"We don't think it was an accident," Calcagno said, but said it was unclear what the motive may have been.
I-580, castro valley, crash, road rage, bay area traffic
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 45 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 23 min ago
- Minnie Driver faces body bullies, tweets nude photo 15 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan