Bay Area Traffic
Final piece of new Bay Bridge span set in place
TREASURE ISLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The final piece of the new east span of the Bay Bridge was lowered into place on Friday.. It completes the largest structure of its kind on any bridge in the world.
The piece is the heaviest of the 28 pieces crews have handled so far; it weighs 2 million pounds. It is so heavy that local piers were not able to handle the weight so it has been floating on a barge. The piece closes the gap between the new skyway and the self anchored suspension span.
The bridge construction will cost $6.28 billion. The new span is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay bridge, oakland, caltrans, san francisco bay, treasure island, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- US approves California's new K-12 testing plan
- Private school in Oakland on lockdown after assault 4 min ago
- Ukraine may turn to UN General Assembly
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Wing cracks lead to Dreamliner production delay
- Woman killed when gun in donated clothes fires
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday