Bay Area Traffic
Final piece of new Bay Bridge span set in place
TREASURE ISLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The final piece of the new east span of the Bay Bridge was lowered into place on Friday.. It completes the largest structure of its kind on any bridge in the world.
The piece is the heaviest of the 28 pieces crews have handled so far; it weighs 2 million pounds. It is so heavy that local piers were not able to handle the weight so it has been floating on a barge. The piece closes the gap between the new skyway and the self anchored suspension span.
The bridge construction will cost $6.28 billion. The new span is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay bridge, oakland, caltrans, san francisco bay, treasure island, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies
- Coast Guard rescues 4 people along San Mateo coast
- More victims in SF say teen girls robbed them 47 min ago
- Police enforce pedestrian safety with sting operation
- IT tech charged with stealing $400,000 in equipment 27 min ago
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
- Woman receives $130 billion FasTrack bill
- SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
- SF couple uses Task Rabbit, Airbnb apps for profit
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder George Zimmer
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Potrero Hill stabbing; BART review
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday