Bay Area Traffic
Designs for Bay Bridge bike path to be unveiled
BAY BRIDGE -- Plans are moving forward for a bike path on the western span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge although funding for the $500 million project has yet to be secured.
The Bay Area Toll Authority is set to unveil design options for the path at a public hearing on Tuesday.
The rebuilt eastern portion of the bridge -- expected to open in a few years -- will include a bike path that will connect Oakland with Yerba Buena and Treasure islands.
Bicyclists have also been calling for a bike lane on the western span, so they can ride all the way to San Francisco.
Despite the designs, actual construction is likely a ways off since no funding sources have been identified.
bay bridge, bay area traffic
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos