Bay Area Traffic
CHP motorcycle officer rear-ended on NB I-880
FREMONT, Calif. -- A California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer was rear-ended by another motorist on northbound Interstate Highway 880 in Fremont this morning, a CHP officer said.
The collision was reported around 7 a.m. near the Decoto Road on-ramp.
CHP Officer R. Crawford said accident occurred as the motorcycle officer and another CHP officer in a patrol car were escorting a semi truck with a wide load onto the freeway.
They were traveling at about 20 mph when the motorcycle was rear-ended by a car traveling at an estimated 55 mph, Crawford said.
The impact pushed the motorcycle forward, and it then traveled across northbound lanes before sliding to a stop near the center divider, Crawford said.
The motorcycle officer, who was up and walking around after the collision, was taken to a hospital to be evaluated for a complaint of pain, he said.
The driver of the car that struck the officer's bike was not injured.
The accident initially shut down the on-ramp and the two right lanes of the highway, but all lanes have since been reopened.
CHP, I-880, fremont, bay area traffic
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos