Bay Area Traffic
CHP motorcycle officer rear-ended on NB I-880
FREMONT, Calif. -- A California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer was rear-ended by another motorist on northbound Interstate Highway 880 in Fremont this morning, a CHP officer said.
The collision was reported around 7 a.m. near the Decoto Road on-ramp.
CHP Officer R. Crawford said accident occurred as the motorcycle officer and another CHP officer in a patrol car were escorting a semi truck with a wide load onto the freeway.
They were traveling at about 20 mph when the motorcycle was rear-ended by a car traveling at an estimated 55 mph, Crawford said.
The impact pushed the motorcycle forward, and it then traveled across northbound lanes before sliding to a stop near the center divider, Crawford said.
The motorcycle officer, who was up and walking around after the collision, was taken to a hospital to be evaluated for a complaint of pain, he said.
The driver of the car that struck the officer's bike was not injured.
The accident initially shut down the on-ramp and the two right lanes of the highway, but all lanes have since been reopened.
CHP, I-880, fremont, bay area traffic
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley 42 min ago
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating 55 min ago
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery 37 min ago
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital 15 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Fresno police seek suspects in teacher's shooting
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday