Bay Area Traffic
Driver killed in road rage crash on I-80 in Richmond
RICHMOND, calif. (KGO) -- The driver of a minivan was killed in an apparent road-rage crash on I-80 in Richmond early this morning.
According to witnesses he was driving slowly, about 50 mph in the carpool lane - so some cars kept passing him. They said he was tapping his brakes repeatedly as well as tailgating. When a pickup truck passed he got extremely angry and then slammed into the side of the truck.
"What we are trying to determine is if these parties knew each other. Was it a road rage incident? Was it simply an unsafe lane change? There were some reports about brake checking in the area between these vehicles - so we are trying to follow up on that. We have some very good witness statements. The driver of the pickup truck stayed behind, gave us a really good statement. So now for us as CHP personnel, it's just a process of doing a thorough collision investigation," said CHP Spokesperson Sam Morgan.
The van rolled four times on the freeway and then landed on all four wheels in the middle of I-80; fortunately nobody else hit him. The driver was wearing a seatbelt. Several lanes were blocked, which backed up traffic for miles.
At this point officers' don't plan on making any arrests or issuing any citations because they believe they driver who was at fault died.
Anyone with information on the collision is asked to call the Oakland-area CHP office at (510) 450-3821 or (800) TELL-CHP.
I-80, richmond, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced 39 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home 42 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 26 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
9 min ago
- Vernon's View: "When we play them it's...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos