Bay Area Traffic
Golden Gate Bridge evening traffic slows to crawl
SAN FRANCISCO -- Traffic has slowed to a crawl on the Golden Gate Bridge this evening due to the holiday weekend closure of the Bay Bridge, according to bridge officials.
The bridge is seeing heavy evening traffic today and anticipates approximately a 50 percent increase in traffic levels this holiday weekend, spokeswoman Mary Currie said today.
"Traffic is at a crawl now," Currie said. "It is moving but it's moving pretty slowly."
The Golden Gate Bridge was crossed by 39,799 southbound vehicles on Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011, and 49,889 on Saturday, Feb. 13, 2010, according to data from the Golden Gate Bridge District.
The Bay Bridge's westbound upper deck closed Friday night for work including the construction of a detour near the toll plaza, lane striping and the placement of a guide rail, according to Caltrans officials.
The detour will shift westbound traffic to the south of its existing path. It will make room for construction crews to demolish sections of the existing roadway to make way for a new inclined section for the new east span of the bridge.
The bridge's upper deck will be closed until 5 a.m. Tuesday, although weather could delay the deck's reopening.
Eastbound traffic, carried on the lower deck, and vehicle travel between Treasure Island and San Francisco are unaffected by the closure.
waze, bay bridge, ac transit, BART, caltrans, bay area traffic
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos