Bay Area Traffic
Head-on injury accident blocks all Hwy 17 lanes
SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS -- The California Highway Patrol is reporting that a head-on crash on Highway 17 in unincorporated Santa Cruz County north of Scotts Valley this morning has left one person dead.
Officers received a call of the head-on crash at 10:43 a.m. on northbound Highway 17 involving a Toyota 4Runner SUV and a compact sedan, according to the CHP.
One person involved in that crash has been pronounced dead and others suffered serious injuries, according to CHP Officer Sarah Jackson. The highway's northbound lanes are closed and Caltrans crews are on scene to manage southbound traffic, Jackson said.
Motorists continued to speed by the scene of the crash as crews worked to clear the area, prompting Caltrans crews to issue slow-down warnings, she said.
The CHP is advising northbound drivers to use alternate routes to get to Santa Cruz, such as state Highway 152, state Highway 1 or Soquel San Jose Road to Summit Road.
No time estimate was available for when the northbound lanes would reopen on Highway 17.
highway 17, bay area traffic
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
9 min ago