Bay Area Traffic
Head-on injury accident blocks all Hwy 17 lanes
SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS -- The California Highway Patrol is reporting that a head-on crash on Highway 17 in unincorporated Santa Cruz County north of Scotts Valley this morning has left one person dead.
Officers received a call of the head-on crash at 10:43 a.m. on northbound Highway 17 involving a Toyota 4Runner SUV and a compact sedan, according to the CHP.
One person involved in that crash has been pronounced dead and others suffered serious injuries, according to CHP Officer Sarah Jackson. The highway's northbound lanes are closed and Caltrans crews are on scene to manage southbound traffic, Jackson said.
Motorists continued to speed by the scene of the crash as crews worked to clear the area, prompting Caltrans crews to issue slow-down warnings, she said.
The CHP is advising northbound drivers to use alternate routes to get to Santa Cruz, such as state Highway 152, state Highway 1 or Soquel San Jose Road to Summit Road.
No time estimate was available for when the northbound lanes would reopen on Highway 17.
highway 17, bay area traffic
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 12 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 10 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos