Bay Area Traffic
Hwy 237 express lanes open this morning
MILPITAS, Calif. -- The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority is converting a stretch of carpool lanes on the state Highway 237 and Interstate Highway 880 interchange in Milpitas into express lanes this morning, according to transit officials.
The 4-mile stretch will allow solo drivers who previously did not qualify to use the carpool lane to use the now-classified express lanes for a fee, officials said.
The toll for solo riders to use the roads will range from 30 cents to $6, with the average toll at $3, according to transportation officials. The toll price will be based on road congestion.
Vehicles with at least two occupants will continue to use the express lanes at no charge.
The express lanes will operate during the same hours as carpool lanes, with an exception of an extended hour in the morning only on westbound Highway 237.
The hours of operation are 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. during the evening commute.
Because of inclement weather last week, the opening of the express lanes was postponed from March 15 to 5 a.m. this morning.
The opening is scheduled to take place at 430 McCarthy Center at North McCarthy Boulevard and Ranch Drive at 5 a.m.
highway 237, I-880, milpitas, bay area traffic
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 22 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side 37 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver 30 min ago
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
22 min ago
- Bay Area residents monitor SKorea ferry...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos