Bay Area Traffic
Highway 12 widening project breaks ground
A state Highway 12 widening project at the Solano-Napa county border that has been in the making for years is breaking ground this morning, transportation officials said.
A groundbreaking ceremony was scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Reata Winery in Napa to mark the start of the project, which will turn the two-lane highway, known as Jameson Canyon Road, into a four-lane corridor with a median barrier, according to Daryl Halls, executive director of the Solano Transportation Authority.
The 5.7-mile stretch of Highway 12 between state Highway 29 and Interstate Highway 80 has become a collision hotspot with increasing congestion during commute hours, Halls said.
The barrier aims to prevent head-on crashes, and the widening is meant to increase safety on the "kind of narrow, somewhat unsafe" two-lane highway, which has stretches that are steep and windy, according to Halls.
Funding for the $115 million project has come from Napa and Solano counties, the state and the federal government.
The office of Rep. John Garamendi, D-Fairfield, who was scheduled to attend this morning's groundbreaking, said $7.8 million in federal funds has pushed the project along.
During construction on both the flatter Napa County side and the steeper Solano County section, two lanes will remain open for the 40,000 average daily drivers on the highway, Halls said.
solano county, napa county, highway 12, construction, bay area traffic
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward 14 min ago
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall 13 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos