Bay Area Traffic
Golden Gate Ferry service to resume after strike
LARKSPUR, Calif. (KGO) -- Members of the Golden Gate Bridge labor coalition chanted together, stood together and together closed down the Golden Gate Ferry service to San Francisco from Larkspur and Sausalito.
Just a few people didn't get the message about the ferry shut down, and turned up to catch the ferry that today wasn't leaving port. Management says the pre-announced strike had little impact on congestion on the Golden Gate Bridge. But now another strike looms; teamsters have announced a shutdown of Golden Gate Transit bus service on Thursday of next week, by way of a bus servicers strike. Bus drivers would not cross that picket line.
"If we don't get a contract in the next few days, then this is going to spread to the other units. Teamsters is prepared; it has taken a strike vote and we will be taking a strike on May 10," said Ralph Miranda of Local Teamsters 665.
"They have been all over the map with everything from Occupy, to take the roadway, to shutdown the buses, to shutdown the ferries, to shutdown the North Bay. So we have to take everything that is being reported by the union coalition with a little bit of a grain of salt," said Mary Currie of the Golden Gate Bridge District.
The CHP massed in San Francisco today for any of those events, but so far have not been needed.
Labor coalition members have not had a contract since last July. The sticking points are pension and medical costs. There is a negotiating session set up for May 7.
Today's strike is scheduled to end at 1:20 p.m.
strike, larkspur, bay area traffic, terry mcsweeney
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Gov. Brown cites safety in possible bridge delay 49 min ago
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday 17 min ago
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- United Airlines restarts 787 flights after grounding
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Bay to Breakers fall; Oakland Hills fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday