Bay Area Traffic
Dumbarton to close Memorial Day weekend for retrofit work
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- The Dumbarton Bridge will be closed to traffic Memorial Day weekend to allow Caltrans and its contractor to significantly advance seismic retrofit work on the bridge, according to bridge officials.
Effie Milionis, a spokeswoman for the Dumbarton Bridge Seismic Safety Project, said that the three-plus-day closure will permit Caltrans to replace a major seismic joint across all six lanes of traffic on the bridge's western side.
The 1.6-mile Dumbarton Bridge, which spans from Menlo Park to Fremont, carries approximately 60,000 vehicles daily. In the event of an earthquake, the seismic joint will absorb and dissipate energy.
Milionis said completing the seismic joint is a significant milestone in the retrofit project, which began in 2010 and is expected to be completed next year.
The bridge will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday, May 25, to 5 a.m. Tuesday, May 29, Milionis said.
Motorists should plan ahead, allowing extra travel time to take alternate routes, including the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Suggested detour routes are available at dumbartonbridgeinfo.org.
dumbarton bridge, memorial day, bay area traffic
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF 44 min ago
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches 24 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos