Bay Area Traffic
Dumbarton Bridge closed Memorial Day weekend
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Caltrans officials are reminding commuters that the Dumbarton Bridge will be closed to traffic over the Memorial Day holiday weekend for a seismic retrofit project.
The closure of the 1.6-mile bridge, which spans from Fremont to Menlo Park and carries about 60,000 vehicles daily, is necessary so crews can replace an existing joint on the western side of the bridge with a larger, seismically safe joint, according to Caltrans.
Crews will also raise sections of the bridge by as many as 5 inches during the closure to allow for the installation of seismic bearings over the next few months that will provide independent movement of the bridge deck from its concrete piers, officials said.
The closure goes into effect at 10 p.m. Friday and will end at 5 a.m. Tuesday.
Commuters should allow for extra time for travel on other routes such as the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Real-time updates on the closure are available by calling 511 or visiting www.511.org.
dumbarton bridge, memorial day, bay area traffic
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos