Bay Area Traffic
Dumbarton Bridge closed Memorial Day weekend
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Caltrans officials are reminding commuters that the Dumbarton Bridge will be closed to traffic over the Memorial Day holiday weekend for a seismic retrofit project.
The closure of the 1.6-mile bridge, which spans from Fremont to Menlo Park and carries about 60,000 vehicles daily, is necessary so crews can replace an existing joint on the western side of the bridge with a larger, seismically safe joint, according to Caltrans.
Crews will also raise sections of the bridge by as many as 5 inches during the closure to allow for the installation of seismic bearings over the next few months that will provide independent movement of the bridge deck from its concrete piers, officials said.
The closure goes into effect at 10 p.m. Friday and will end at 5 a.m. Tuesday.
Commuters should allow for extra time for travel on other routes such as the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Real-time updates on the closure are available by calling 511 or visiting www.511.org.
dumbarton bridge, memorial day, bay area traffic
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 15 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos