Bay Area Traffic
Dumbarton Bridge closed Memorial Day weekend
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Caltrans officials are reminding commuters that the Dumbarton Bridge will be closed to traffic over the Memorial Day holiday weekend for a seismic retrofit project.
The closure of the 1.6-mile bridge, which spans from Fremont to Menlo Park and carries about 60,000 vehicles daily, is necessary so crews can replace an existing joint on the western side of the bridge with a larger, seismically safe joint, according to Caltrans.
Crews will also raise sections of the bridge by as many as 5 inches during the closure to allow for the installation of seismic bearings over the next few months that will provide independent movement of the bridge deck from its concrete piers, officials said.
The closure goes into effect at 10 p.m. Friday and will end at 5 a.m. Tuesday.
Commuters should allow for extra time for travel on other routes such as the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Real-time updates on the closure are available by calling 511 or visiting www.511.org.
dumbarton bridge, memorial day, bay area traffic
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 39 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 24 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years 28 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 7 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
39 min ago