Bay Area Traffic
Dumbarton Bridge closed Memorial Day weekend
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Caltrans officials are reminding commuters that the Dumbarton Bridge will be closed to traffic over the Memorial Day holiday weekend for a seismic retrofit project.
The closure of the 1.6-mile bridge, which spans from Fremont to Menlo Park and carries about 60,000 vehicles daily, is necessary so crews can replace an existing joint on the western side of the bridge with a larger, seismically safe joint, according to Caltrans.
Crews will also raise sections of the bridge by as many as 5 inches during the closure to allow for the installation of seismic bearings over the next few months that will provide independent movement of the bridge deck from its concrete piers, officials said.
The closure goes into effect at 10 p.m. Friday and will end at 5 a.m. Tuesday.
Commuters should allow for extra time for travel on other routes such as the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Real-time updates on the closure are available by calling 511 or visiting www.511.org.
dumbarton bridge, memorial day, bay area traffic
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 54 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
24 min ago