Bay Area Traffic
Dumbarton Bridge closed Memorial Day weekend
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Caltrans officials are reminding commuters that the Dumbarton Bridge will be closed to traffic over the Memorial Day holiday weekend for a seismic retrofit project.
The closure of the 1.6-mile bridge, which spans from Fremont to Menlo Park and carries about 60,000 vehicles daily, is necessary so crews can replace an existing joint on the western side of the bridge with a larger, seismically safe joint, according to Caltrans.
Crews will also raise sections of the bridge by as many as 5 inches during the closure to allow for the installation of seismic bearings over the next few months that will provide independent movement of the bridge deck from its concrete piers, officials said.
The closure goes into effect at 10 p.m. Friday and will end at 5 a.m. Tuesday.
Commuters should allow for extra time for travel on other routes such as the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Real-time updates on the closure are available by calling 511 or visiting www.511.org.
dumbarton bridge, memorial day, bay area traffic
- Boy drowns after falling into canal in Antioch
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Josh Donaldson, A's power past Astros 11-5
- Castillo scores as FC Dallas tops Earthquakes 1-0
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday