Bay Area Traffic
On-ramp meter lights to be turned on in SJ
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- On Wednesday, newly-installed meter lights along Interstate 280 in San Jose will be turned on. The lights will be turned on at 3 p.m., ahead of the evening commute.
The signals briefly hold traffic at on-ramps to provide space between cars merging into freeway lanes. These are the first of hundreds of ramp lights that will be turned on all over the Bay Area in the next few years.
Caltrans says the lights will reduce overall traffic, but some drivers don't like waiting several minutes at an on-ramp.
san jose, transportation, I-280, bay area traffic
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos