Bay Area Traffic
Shooting on Bay Bridge causes traffic nightmare
The Bay Bridge was a nightmare Thursday morning for eastbound commuters and the CHP says a drunk driver with a gun started it all.
The CHP says the suspect, 29-year-old Antonio Roberson, is on parole for human trafficking. He was driving the car that crashed on the bridge almost leading to a near closure for eight hours on the lower deck.
It was not a good morning to try to cross the Bay from San Francisco to Oakland. The surface streets and Highway 101 approach was gridlocked as far as the eye could see. What most commuters expected to be a 15-minute trip across the Bay Bridge took more like two hours. "This is pretty bad. This is incredible," commuter Seth Aure said. "It's been hell. I've been in gridlock for the last hour," another man said.
It was all because one car and its driver. The CHP says it passed one of their patrol cars at maybe 100 miles per hour headed eastbound just after 1:30 a.m. The driver crashed at the S-curve and that's when the CHP caught up with them. "They stopped to render aid to the occupants of the vehicle, assuming that this was an injury collision. At that point, the vehicle did try to flee the scene. There was a shooting," said CHP Officer Mike Ferguson.
The car went another 700 feet before it was disabled. The driver and passenger were taken into custody with injuries from the crash. Only one lane of the eastbound bridge was open while investigators gathered evidence. San Francisco police had a hard time just getting there. Lanes reopened progressively over time with all lanes open again at about 10 a.m. "The closure was so that we could secure the scene and take whatever evidence we could," Ferguson said.
Roberson is expected to be charged with DUI and weapons charges once he is released from the hospital. His passenger was a 26-year-old woman from Australia. She has been released from the hospital.
bay bridge, CHP, shooting, SFPD, DUI, bay area traffic, heather ishimaru
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 41 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 26 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years 30 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 9 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
41 min ago