Bay Area Traffic
Ferry commuters frustrated by Vallejo-SF service
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A re-occurring commuter problem came to a head Thursday morning for people trying to travel between San Francisco and Vallejo on the water. Ferry passengers say there are problems far too often.
The Ferry Vallejo broke down after making its 7 a.m. run Thursday and had to go out of service. San Francisco Bay Ferry management tried calling two different bus lines to take commuters to San Francisco, but they couldn't find buses to fulfill the request. So, there was no way for commuters to get to San Francisco by water and no way to get there by land.
Some commuters were upset. "You can't always count on it being here. And like this morning, they didn't even have back-up buses for us. We had to wait another hour. Then I'm late for work, I've got appointments, it's just very frustrating because there's no stability with this ferry," commuter Sharon Truex said.
"Ever the last several months, they've only had three boats available to do a three-boat service. Their back-up boat has been in Washington undergoing a mid-life refurbishment," explained Ernest Sanchez with SF Bay Ferry. "And, so right now, they're operating three boats without the back-up."
SF Bay Ferry only took over control of the Vallejo to San Francisco route one month ago. So, this is a fairly new experience for the management team which is promising a number of things including getting their back-up boat back, better preventative maintenance on the boats, better back-up plans, and a website this fall that will provide commuters better information on the status of the ferry. They will also communicate information via text messages and email.
travel, transportation, vallejo, bay area traffic, terry mcsweeney
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 36 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos