Bay Area Traffic
Man dies after crashing into tree along I-280
HILLSBOROUGH, Calif. -- A man is dead after a blown tire led to a fatal car crash near Hillsborough this morning, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.
The 21-year-old man was driving south on Interstate Highway 280 near Black Mountain Road when he lost control of his blue Toyota Supra, veered left and crashed into a tree at about 7:40 a.m., CHP officer Curtis Glace said.
He was pronounced dead at the scene, Glace said.
The fast lane was blocked as crews worked to clear the roadway, Glace said. The lane was reopened by about 9:40 a.m., he said.
Glace said it appeared the Toyota's rear right tire blew out, causing the crash. No other vehicles were involved.
The man was driving alone, he said.
The crash remains under investigation but no drug or alcohol
Anyone with information on the crash, or who may have witnessed it, is asked to call the Redwood City-area CHP office at (650) 369-6261.
hillsborough, I-280, bay area traffic
- Bay Area communities wake up to freezing temps 49 min ago
- Family, friends hold out hope for missing family
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- BART unions file lawsuit against transit agency
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- New video released of suspect who threw 2 cats into bay
- USPS looking for volunteers to answer letters to Santa
- Lockheed Martin challenges engineers to build a car in 1 day
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SJ police contract; Construction moritorium
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos