Bay Area Traffic
Closures to impact Bay Area traffic this weekend
There will be some major road closures in the Bay Area over the Labor Day weekend.
Getting into downtown San Francisco from the Bay Bridge is going to be a little tricky. Starting Friday at 10 a.m., Fremont Street will be closed from Howard to Mission Street. It's all part of the construction of the new Transbay Transit Terminal.
Similar work was done on First Street in May. Workers will dig out the roadway and place a steel bridge. That will allow them to excavate and build the underground terminal without more closures. The roadway is expected to reopen in time for Tuesday morning's commute.
Also, a heads up for commuters on the Dumbarton Bridge -- it will be closed for five days. The closure starts at 10 p.m. Friday. It's schedule to reopen Tuesday at 5 a.m. While the bridge is closed, crews will take the time to replace an expansion joint on the east side of the span with a state-of-the-art seismic joint, which can absorb and dissipate energy during an earthquake. The bridge was last closed over the Memorial Day weekend for seismic work.
construction, traffic, transportation, earthquake, dumbarton bridge, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos