Bay Area Traffic
San Mateo Bridge is now closed for seismic retrofit work until Monday morning
SAN MATEO BRIDGE (KGO) -- Drivers who normally use the San Mateo Bridge will need to find another way to cross the Bay this weekend. The bridge will close down tonight for seismic retrofit.
The San Mateo Bridge closure will be through the weekend from 10 tonight until 5 a.m. Monday. Lanes will open gradually Monday morning with the complete reopening by 1 p.m.. It's all the result of a discovery two years ago. During a regular inspection, bridge inspectors found a crack in a wishbone-shaped girder beneath the bridge. At the time, a temporary fix was put in place.
Caltrans spokesman Bob Haus says it has held well since then.
"But in the meantime, we went back and we've designed a completely new system for where the trestle meets the incline on the bridge. So what we're putting in is 12 new sections of the bridge, and a new seismic joint that allows the bridge to move in the event of an earthquake," said Haus.
The project will cost $3 million and will be paid for with toll funds.
Drivers are advised to use the Dumbarton Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and Highway 237 as alternate routes.
Heavy traffic is expected for the Big Game, Stanford at Cal, tomorrow.
The bridge also will be closed next weekend from Friday night until Monday morning to complete the repairs.
san mateo, san mateo bridge, hayward, traffic, bay area traffic
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 2 min ago
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers 45 min ago
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test 39 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Orinda fire; Obama coming to Bay Area
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Crews search for survivors after Oklahoma...
12 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado survivors counting blessings
2 min ago