Bay Area Traffic
Muni service resumes after man fatally struck
SAN FRANCISCO -- A person was fatally struck by a San Francisco Municipal Railway light-rail vehicle near the Montgomery Muni Metro station this morning, shutting down service in the subway for nearly three hours, a Muni spokesman said.
Authorities responded at 7:26 a.m. to a report of a male on the inbound tracks at the Montgomery station, fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
The male was apparently walking in the tunnel between the Montgomery and Embarcadero stations when he was struck by the Muni vehicle, Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Muni Metro service was suspended in the subway between the Embarcadero and West Portal stations while crews responded to the scene. Service resumed at about 10:20 a.m., Rose said.
Bus shuttles took passengers to their destinations along the affected light-rail lines during the shutdown, he said.
BART was also allowing riders with Muni passes to board BART trains between the Balboa Park and Embarcadero stations in San Francisco during the disruption, BART spokesman Jim Allison said.
The operator of the Muni light-rail vehicle has been placed on non-driving status pending an investigation into the incident and will undergo alcohol and drug testing, as is standard procedure, according to Rose.
muni, bay area traffic
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder 45 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- SF group fights to turn parking into...
55 min ago