Bay Area Traffic
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge turns 76
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- ABC7 News would like to wish the Bay Bridge a happy birthday. The span, which originally opened on November 12, 1936, is now 76-years-old.
The bridge is one of the most traveled in the world, carrying 270,000 commuters a day. This will be a big year for the bridge with its new eastern span set to open next September.
Construction crews are expected to finish transferring the weight of the new roadway from a temporary support structure to its new suspension cables by Tuesday.
bay bridge, transportation, bay area traffic
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 59 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos