Bay Area Traffic
Blown transformer causes Muni Metro service shut down
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Municipal Railway subway service could be restored by 11 p.m. tonight but if not crews will continue working in an effort to restore service for Tuesday's commute, a Muni spokesman said.
All subway trains were shut down this evening because of an electrical signaling problem from a blown transformer, Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.
The transformer blew around the Van Ness station at about 5:45 p.m. leading to the service outage, Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.
He said Muni crews are working with PG&E to restore service as quickly as possible.
The transformer was part of Muni's infrastructure, Rose said. PG&E responded and checked their equipment but did not find a problem, but assisted Muni in making repairs, PG&E spokeswoman Jana Morris said.
Bus shuttles are available for stranded Muni passengers between the Embarcadero and West Portal stations tonight. Rose recommended travelers check Twitter for updates.
The outage is unrelated to an earlier incident where a wheelchair-bound woman was hit by an F-train near the corner of Church and Market streets.
That woman was transported to San Francisco General Hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to police.
muni, PG&E, bay area traffic
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive 46 min ago
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 46 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides 37 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Startup sells insurance based on how much...
46 min ago